Thursday, February 3, 2011

Take a journey with me

February 3, 2011
                Thursday December 2nd 2010 I got a phone call that terrified, angered and just about changed that way I would look at life and how I viewed the people in my life. I have received this kind of phone call a few times before but this time I was shocked to get this kind of call from the person on the other line to say the least. “Jamie, I am having a heart attack and have to go into immediate surgery to have a stint put in my heart….I’m scared”.
                The person on the other line? One of my closest friends 30 year old Dj Bonics. No, there is no typo, 30 years old! I was stunned and even though I heard him perfectly clear the first time, I could only get the word WHAT? out. He repeated himself and started to cry. I quickly gathered up my things from 96.1 Kiss Stuff A Bus and took off for St. Clair’s hospital.
                So by now you might be wondering how this started and what exactly happened the 4 days spent at Bonics' bedside in the hospital and how myself his other friends and family dealt with this. Well, I am going to tell you and fill you in beginning to end through this journey Bonics and I are about to take together.
                We are in the very baby beginning stages of starting a foundation call the Bonics Heart Beats Foundation. Our main goal is to bring awareness to everyone that heart failure doesn’t discriminate by age, sex or race it can in fact strike anyone. Our first order of business is to sell awesome shirts to help raise money to throw a big event in the summer. We were thinking maybe a kickball tournament or water balloon fight. Just something fun to get us all off the couch and get MOVING!!
                I don’t want another phone call like the one I received in December from anyone. So if there is anything I can do about it…. Damn it I am doing it!! Bonics got a huge wake up call and is not taking his second chance for granted! He is grabbing it and running full speed ahead to make sure he can reach out to as many people as possible to educate.
                So the journey I want to take you on is getting through making a (cross your fingers) successful foundation and things I learn along the way along with telling you Bonics' story. I also need lots of help so any and every suggestion would be sooo appreciated. I also promise you that I will figure out this whole blog thing like adding pics and cool things like that.
                More info on the tee shirts are to follow in my next post! Oh and maybe a little info on who I am too!!
xoxo
Healthy Hearts and Love,

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome. I have family history (mostly with the men) of heart disease, strokes and other not-fun heart things. My father last February had to get quadruple bypass immediately following a catheterization and it was scary.
    If you need help with the blog or volunteers, let me know. I'm pretty decent with blog stuff (no expert lol) and would love to help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Kim! I am sorry you had to go through so much but I am so glad things worked out. We can really use your help so as soon as something comes up, I will be sure to let you know:)

    ReplyDelete